Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Book 601


Because of Winn-Dixie, by Kate DiCamillo, Candlewick, 2001.

I've read many other books by Kate DiCamillo before, and have loved or liked them all, but I had never read Because of Winn-Dixie -- until now.

My third grade son's Literature Class because reading this in school.  He loved it so much, he wanted his own copy, so we bought one.  When he finished the book, he wanted the movie, so we bought a copy of that too.

It's hard to explain why this book, or any of Kate DiCamillo's writing, stand out.  Certainly she isn't afraid of difficult topics, but neither are a lot of other writers.  She also isn't afraid to give a not-quite-perfectly happy ending, but, again, neither are a lot of other writers.  If I were to guess, though, I would say that one reason her writing is so accessible and enjoyable is that her main character(s) are not perfect.  They may mean well, but they don't get everything right, just like most kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment