Monday, March 1, 2010

Thirteen Books

According to Parenting magazine, "a child growing up in a middle-class neighborhood will own an average of 13 books at any given time..." How sad. For lower income communities, that number is much lower.

I have tried to not be a mommy who has to compare her child to other children at every milestone, but this is one instance where I'm very happy to have my child come out above average. And this is one instance where I can control that outcome. I've long been a proponent of early childhood literacy (hence my decision to work as a children's librarian), but as a new mommy, I'm an even stronger advocate. Already I've reviewed 13 books from my son's collection and I've scarcely made a dent. Let's grow the personal (and public) libraries of the children we know.

*For other reviews, please see Books I Buy and Why

No comments:

Post a Comment