Sunday, June 12, 2011

Book 77

Baby Einstein: What Floats?, by Julie Aigner-Clark, illustrated by Nadeem Zaidi, Hyperion Books 2003.

(From May 15, 2011)

As I was reading this very soggy and soap-slimed book to my son in the bathtub tonight (he was in the tub, not me), I realized I had yet to review this book.

I have to say, I did not buy this book; it was given to my son when he was three days old by my former co-worker and dear friend, Louise N. But even though I did not buy the book, it has been read to my son more often, with the exception of Goodnight Moon and Top Cat, than any other book. We started reading it to him when he first started using the big bathtub to take a bath. Not long after that he came down with chickenpox and we would read this book to him four or five times while we were waiting for the Aveeno Oatmeal bath to take effect.

What Floats? is one of those (so far) indestructible, plastic, waterproof books. It is light, squishy and, not surprisingly, floats. It is also a simple rhyming book with very colorful illustrations. And, of course, it is designed to be taken into the tub with the child. My little boy has been through many, many bath toys, but this book has always been right there with them, and he still gets excited when I read it to him.


*For other reviews, please see Books I Buy and Why

No comments:

Post a Comment