Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book 83

Animalogy: Animal Analogies, written by Marianne Berkes, illustrated by Cathy Morrison, Sylvan Dell Publishing, 2011

I have another book downstairs to review. This one came in through the front door by way of the post because it is a brand-new book.

As with all of Marianne Berkes' books, when I first read it I thought "What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?" And that is what makes the books of Marianne Berkes stand out in a crowd. In my years as a children's librarian and later as a mother of an avid "reader", I have read classics, old and new, but never have I read a book like Animalogy. I've read several opposite books. I've read quite a few comparison books. But I have never read an analogy book for toddlers/preschooler before. Even if my not-quite-three-year-old does not fully understand the concept of analogy, at least when it is presented to him in school, it will be a reacquaintance and not a new introduction.

The illustrations in this book are sharp. I would have thought almost too sharp, especially the lion's and dog's teeth; however, my little boy does not seem to agree with me. At his age, he still likes cute and cuddly -- Classic Winnie the Pooh, but he also likes sharp and spiky -- rubbery, ugly dinosaurs. I think he likes the danger that can be found in the natural environment, from a safe distance, of course. Anyway, the animals are instantly recognizable to him and he seems to prefer that over the silly cartoony ones that could be one thing as easily as another. And, when it comes down to it, so do I.

So, if you are like me and are hoping to raise a genius (or at least a smart, young reader), you will need to add this book to your children's library.


*For reviews on other books, please see my blog Books I Buy and Why

No comments:

Post a Comment