Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book "series" for young readers: 1


I'm taking a break from reviewing individual books because I've noticed a lot of moms in the library on Story Time day are looking for authors of multiple books, or series, for their young readers.  So my first series to recommend:  How Do Dinosaurs....(anything) by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague. 

These books were my son's introduction to dinosaurs.   The first book I read/bought (same thing for me) was How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You.  My little "dinosaur" had no trouble recognizing himself in the dinosaur-like behavior, both good and bad.  Any book that can engage a young child (he was two at the time) right away is a winner for the writing.

Mark Teague's illustrations for this series are nothing short of brilliant.  Thomas had never seen a drawing of a dinosaur before we read the first book.  After seeing the dinosaurs in the "I Love You" book, Thomas had no trouble spotting dinosaurs in other illustrations or drawings, and he's even drawn some himself. 

We own four of the Dinosaur books already, and we'll be buying more, especially since there is a new one coming out for Christmas.  Thanks, Jane Yolen and Mark Teague!

No comments:

Post a Comment