Sunday, April 21, 2013

Stream of consciousness poem -- part XIX




October 17 – Later in the afternoon

I’m hungry
And I’m hurting
And I’m afraid
And I’m sad
And I’m feeling guilty
About first leaving my son
And my husband
And then about leaving my brother
And my younger sister
And about my older sister
Driving home alone
But right now
I’m mostly just
Hungry

So we
Drive downtown
And talk about
The things we missed –
My birthday
Our anniversary
Five days of my husband’s life
Five days of my son’s life
Five days of my life
So much has changed in
Five days

We decide
That Wendy’s will be fine
So we wait where there is no line
And order whatever
And we sit
And eat
Without
Talking


Until
Sirens scream
And I jump
But this is no emergency
This is a fire engine parade
And my son runs to the window
And giggles
And dances with excitement
And thinks the parade is just for him
And I think maybe
He’s right

No comments:

Post a Comment