Sunday, July 21, 2013

Stream of consciousness -- part XXVII


October 23, 2011

It has been
A full day
Since the plastic fork incident
When my older sister
Pulls up to my house
Her husband’s car
Packed to
The gills

The drive
Was not very long –
Just about three hours –
And not very difficult
On a Sunday
But it is clear
That she is still
Shaken

While my
Young son naps
My sister and I
Unload her husband’s car
Stacking box upon box
Of movies
In a pocket of space
In the
Garage

She hands me
A box of papers –
Bills, tax forms
Military paperwork
There is no social security card
No driver’s license
No birth certificate
The only ID is his
Dog tags

We talk
And say nothing
It seems we are practicing
The apologies
We will give our brother
For saving so little
Of his forty years
Of life

But we did
what we could
Saving his movies
His favorite shoes
Some clothes
And the paperwork
He will need
To reclaim
His life

No comments:

Post a Comment