Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Picture poem

Here is today's Picture Poem.

Flowerpot and seeds

One day
About two months before you were due
My mother gave me a hand-painted flowerpot
And a packet of seeds –
Baby blue flax seeds –
I did not plant the seeds right away
Instead, I decided to wait until after your birth
(And until after the puppy stopped digging up
Everything I planted)
So I set the flowerpot and seeds aside
And waited
You arrived on time
Healthy and with startling dark blue eyes
But that was not the time to plant the seeds
Instead, I watched you grow
And watched the puppy turn into a dog
And waited for her to stop digging up
Everything I planted
Until one day
Nine months after my mother gave me
The flowerpot and the packet of seeds
I decided that was the day
To plant the seeds
So I did
And one day
Just before you turned
Eight months old
The seeds sprouted
And the dog
Did not dig them up

No comments:

Post a Comment