Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Book 59

Book 59: I Saw Esau, A schoolchild's pocket book, edited by Iona and Peter Opie, illustrated by Maurice Sendak, Candlewick Press 2000 (collection originally published in Great Britain in 1947)

This is one of those books that I picked up, years before my son was expected, just because the cover amused me. It helped greatly that Maurice Sendak was the illustrator, but it is an amusing book.

I don't want to give too much away, but in the introduction Iona Opie explains how this book came into being. She says the rhymes contained "were clearly not the rhymes that a grandmother might sing to a grandchild on her knee". However, for the past two Aprils, I have been choosing some rhymes out of this book to read to my toddler son for National Poetry Month. I've probably warped him for life, but maybe in a good way.

*For other reviews, please see Book I Buy and Why

No comments:

Post a Comment