Tuesday, February 1, 2011

More bad poetry on the way...

The other day, my son pulled from the shelf the binders that contained some of the poetry I wrote during a 13-month-long challenge (April '09 to April '10). I decided not to take up the challenge again after April '10 because we were in the middle of a long, drawn-out move.

When I flipped through those binders, I kind of wished I had followed through. Not because the poems were good. Many were far from that. But the line drawings and other sketches that accompanied them were charming, especially the ones that featured my then-baby boy. So, this April, I think I will at least write one poem a day for a month, and see what happens after that.

I discovered toward the end of the challenge a style of poetry called "reverso", which I love because it truly is a challenge. I actually had written one in the last line of my second book, which came out in 2008. I had no idea this was actually a form of poetry, I just thought it was a clever word play:

...before the beast
I was,
I was
before the Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment