Friday, December 9, 2011

Book 92

Books I Buy for Christmas:

It's Time to Sleep, My Love, written by Eric Metaxas, illustrated by Nancy Tillman, MacMillan 2008, reissued through Kohl's Cares

I know I've raved about the Kohl's Cares program in the past, so today I will try to contain myself. Still, a beautiful, hardbound book for $5, and the proceeds go to a cause that helps children -- what's not to love?

Even though there were four titles available the day I went to Kohl's, I settled for two and bought the plush animals that went with both titles. When I flipped through It's Time to Sleep, My Love, I fell in love with the tiger illustration: It is breathtakingly beautiful. My son wanted a panda bear, and since the panda bear went with the book, this book was an easy choice.

All the illustrations in the book are stunning. The writing is broken down so there are only a few lines of text per illustration; therefore, more stunning illustration. The text originally was a song, so naturally it reads like a well-rhythmed poem. The writing is good, but honestly I don't think you buy this book for the writing. You buy it for the spectacular artwork. And the panda. And to benefit children.

*For other reviews on books to buy, please see my companion blog, Books I Buy and Why

No comments:

Post a Comment