Sunday, October 28, 2012

Stream of Consciousness Poem, part III


October 13, 2011 -- Later  

In the car  
Cradling a mug  
Of coffee   
So strong   
It hurts  

It’s two a.m.  
Miles ahead  
Are black --  
Black as the  
Too strong   
Coffee  
  
We try to talk  
My sister and I  
I ask about  
Her job  
Her husband  
Her life  
  
She responds  
And asks about  
My son    
My husband  
My life  
But one question  
Keeps coming up  
Why?  Why?  

Both of us   
Are wrapped in our   
Worry and fear and guilt  
That we dare not voice  
Because the tears  
Will start  
And    
Not end  

So we stare  
At the uncertain road  
Ahead of us  
And pretend   
To listen   
To the tunes on the   
I-Pod  

2 comments:

  1. I hope when the wheels stopped turning you both were able to lament and grieve together.

    ReplyDelete