Sunday, October 14, 2012

Stream of consciousness poem...


October 12, 2011  

Midweek  
Mid-afternoon  
Head in the clouds  
Four birthdays past  
Four more to come  
Including mine  
And my anniversary  
Shall I make   
A Black Forest Cake?  
Of course!  

Then come   
The holidays  
Will Jeff come down 
To South Carolina 
For Thanksgiving  
Or Christmas    
This year?    

Phone rings  
Nerves jangle  
“Hello” I snap  
As my name is mangled  
“Yes, I’m Karen”  
My patience is at an end  
Useless “no call” list  
But this is no  
Sales call  

My brother  
Was found   
Unconscious   
In his neighbor’s yard  
A scrap of paper  
In his hand  
With my name and number   
On it  

He’s in  
Bad shape  
The neighbor tells me  
The ambulance is on its way  
But he may not make it  
It’s probably   
Too late  

I babble  
I can’t think  
I ask the same question  
Over and over  
But it is the question  
That no one can answer  
Why?  Why?  

2 comments: