Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lucie, chapter 2, part 1



Chapter 2

“Hello,” says the strange-looking girl.  “I’m Ada.”
“Ada, I’m your Aunt Mary.  I’m very pleased to meet you.”  Mom stretches out her hand to the girl in the black sundress.
Ada takes Mom’s hand and smiles.  I look for fangs.  I don’t see any, but that doesn’t mean anything.  Maybe she changes only at night.
“Ada,” Mom continues, “This is your Uncle Jack.”  She points to Dad, who shakes Ada’s hand.  “This is your cousin Emily.”  Emily curtsies.  “And this is your cousin Lucie, who will be staying with you for a few weeks.”  Both my hands clutch Oliver’s carrier, so I shrug.
“Oooo, you have a cat,” Ada squeals.  “I love cats!”
To eat? I wonder.
“May I see him?”
I turn the carrier so the opening faces Ada.  Oliver stares at Ada.  He meows.  Ha! He doesn’t like weird girl in black.  The he closes his eyes partway to make his “I-love-you” face to Ada.  I feel betrayed, crushed.  How can Oliver even like her?  He loves me!
“He’s beautiful,” says Ada.  “What’s his name?”
I pretend I didn’t hear.
“Oliver will be staying here, too, with Lucie,” Mom says.  I glare at her.
“Hello,” a deep voice says.  I look up.  In the doorway, behind Ada, stands a tall man with curly dark hair, dark green eyes, and dressed in a black t-shirt and black pants.  Where did he come from?  He wasn’t there a second ago.
Dad clears his throat.  “Hello, George.”
The tall man nods at Dad, “Jack.” He nods at Mom, “Mary.”
“George,” says Dad.  “This is my elder daughter, Emily.”  Dad pulls Emily in front of himself.  Emily doesn’t curtsy.  She stares open-mouthed at the tall man.
“She does bear a striking resemblance to you, Mary,” he says to Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment