Saturday, January 25, 2014

Lucie, chapter 2, part 2




Dad pulls me over.  “And this is Lucie, who will be staying for a few weeks.”
“Hi.  How’s it going?”  I try not to shudder.
“Hello, Lucie.  We are delighted to have you stay with us.  I see you have brought your cat.  Wonderful.  Welcome.  I think everyone has met my daughter.  If not, this is Ada.”
I’m in the front, so Oliver and I are the first into the house.  The traitors follow me in with my luggage.  We step into a wooden coffin of a dark entryway.  The floors are wood.  The walls are wood.  The ceiling is wood.  From the ceiling hangs a black metal chandelier.  My bags are dumped in the entryway.  The entryway turns to the right and leads to a large wooden room, a bigger coffin.  The floors are wood.  The walls are wood.  The ceiling is wood.  Another black chandelier hangs from the ceiling.  The sofas and chairs are dark red, the same color as the door, the same color as dried blood. I grab Dad’s hand to look at his knuckles to compare.  Dad holds my hand in his.  We sit together on the nearest sofa.  I fold my arms over the top of Oliver’s carrier.
Uncle George says, “I think your cat… What’s his name?”
“Oliver”
“Oliver…  would like to get out of his box.  He may go anywhere in the house he likes except my room and office, those doors are closed, and it is very important the he not go outside.  Other than that, he is perfectly free.  I do like cats, very much, as does my daughter, Ada.”
I’m still worried, but Oliver is pawing on the grid.  I know he wants out.  I release the latch of the gate.  Oliver stretches his front legs out of the carrier, and the rest of his body follows, like a big, fat, furry Slinky.
Uncle George turns to Mom and Dad.  “I expect you’ll be wanting to get home to finish your packing for your trip.  England is especially lovely this time of year.  Will you be traveling elsewhere on the Continent?”
Mom’s silver bracelets chime as she fiddles with her necklace.
“The Continent, no, I don’t believe so.”  She sounds confused, very un-Mom-like.
Dad searches his shirt pocket and pulls out a piece of paper.  He smiles and squeezes my hand.  He unfolds the paper and hands it to Uncle George.  “Well, here is our itinerary,” he says.
Although Dad gives the paper to Uncle George, he looks at me when he says, “Remember, you can call us anytime, day or night.”
Uncle George takes the paper, folds it, and puts it in his pocket without looking at it.  “Of course,” he says and smiles.
He and Ada herd Mom and Dad out the room with hugs and hearty handshakes.  Emily shoots a quick, worried smile at me, and hurries behind Mom and Dad.
I want to follow.  I want to scream, “Don’t leave me here!” But they are leaving me.  Here!  It is too unfair.


No comments:

Post a Comment