Monday, July 21, 2014

Book 337

Abe Lincoln:  The Boy Who Loved Books, written by Kay Winters, illustrated by Nancy Carpenter, Simon and Schuster, 2003.

I didn't actually buy this book; my five-year-old son picked this book out upon his completion of the Summer Reading Program at our local library.  I couldn't be prouder of my son for completing the reading challenger, or for his choice of a book.

I have adored Abraham Lincoln since I first studied Law.  This book only reinforces my love.

This book provides an excellent introduction to Lincoln for the younger set -- the elementary set.  Lincoln's biographical story is deftly told in verse.  The verse is accompanied by lovely, poignant illustrations.  The two-page spread of winter scene and the cross nearly broke my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment