Friday, April 10, 2009

Poetry month -- Day 10

Today's style evolved a bit by accident. I wrote down the names of all pets that lived with me -- excluding fish and siblings ;) -- and a little about each pet. Before I knew it, I had a modified list poem. I did try to keep the meter, but not the syllable count, fairly regular and I deliberately did not use rhyme, but assonance.

Smokey the cat was the first, and was gone
Before I turned one.

Honey the dog came much later,
And died of distemper.

Frisky the dog ran circles around the yard,
And she didn’t go to live on a farm.

Toby the cat a day of grey snow
Slipped out the front door and never came home.

Oliver the cat was perfection --
We all wanted a cat just like him.

Tabitha was pregnant when we lived with her,
She gave birth to Buffy and Solitaire.

Psyche lived with me until we found a better home:
We never found one.

Jareth the hamster lived in a glass box,
Until his heart stopped.

QB the dog never grew into her name –
QB she stayed until her last day.

Monte the rabbit lived a life that was fleeting.
Within a month, Rasputin replaced him.

Gabriel the cat stayed with us briefly.
When he left the carpet was stinky.

Demetrius and Lysander the cats
Were in a pet store next to some snakes.

Morpheus the cat chased everyone,
Until he went to live on his own.

Mario and Peter the cats sought shelter
In the outside unit of an air conditioner.

Tessie the cat had a long life before me,
But she died three months after Psyche.

Outside a church we found a cat named BUSTER.
(Chloe and Sophie won’t arrive until later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment