Sunday, March 2, 2014

Stream of consciousness poem -- part 70



Chapter 70

November 29, 2011 – Later morning

We have arrived
At the Charleston VA
There is no parking
But there is a
Valet

I hand
The valet
My keys
And he hands me
My son’s
Rabbit
Hop-Hop

My son
Takes
My brother’s hand
And my brother
Takes
Hop-Hop

We stop
At the Information Desk
To ask for
Directions
To our
Office

The lady
At the desk
Sees my brother
Clutching Hop-Hop
She gives us directions
And says nothing
About the
Rabbit

Another lady --
A volunteer --
Hands my son
A book
It is a
Bright orange book
It is
Green Eggs
And Ham

We find
The waiting room
And
We wait
And
I read

My son
Is entranced by
Green Eggs and Ham
And so is my
Brother

On the television
A discolored game show host
Spins a wheel
His voice
Crackles
And fades

As I keep
Reading
The room
Grows
Quiet

When we
Came into
The waiting room
The sound from the television
Was crackly
Now the sound
Is off
The television
Is mute

I look up
And see
A sea of grizzled faces
Of veterans
Not watching
The television
But us

I keep reading
And everyone
In the room
Listens

When I finish
Reading
My son cheers
And he is not
Alone

My brother
Cheers
And he is not
Alone
Either



No comments:

Post a Comment