Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Book 312


Cavalier:  A Tale of Chivalry, Passion and Great Houses, by Lucy Worsley, Bloomsbury, 2007.

It took me a couple of chapters to get into this book -- fifteen pages of the journey of a chamber pot didn't help -- but once I did get into the book, it was an interesting read.

Cavalier tells the story of the William Cavendish during an incredibly unsettling time of English history.  His life spanned Queen Elizabeth I, King James I, King Charles I, Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell, and King Charles II; in other words, from Reformation to Civil War to Restoration.  Cavalier picks out eight separate days in the life of William Cavendish and tells what happens with the the Cavendish household and the country and world at large during those eight days.




No comments:

Post a Comment