Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Book 234

Mr. Tiger Goes Wild, by Peter Brown, published by Little, Brown & Company, 2013.  Toddler, Preschool, Early Elementary.

I had heard so much buzz about Mr. Tiger Goes Wild that I had to find out what all the excitement was about.  Now that I've read the book and seen the artwork, I completely understand the buzz, the excitement and the Caldecott-worthy talk.

My little boy, who is almost five, is wild about Mr. Tiger.  I, who am a good deal older than five, am also wild about Mr. Tiger.  First of all, there is a story.  A straight-forward, progressive, easy-to-follow story.  And there is a twist, as there is in all good stories.  And a most satisfying conclusion.  And even, not so much a moral, but advice at the end.  The text is well-chosen to define the characters and to propel the story forward.

The artwork is magnificent.  My son, who can only read a few words on his own, including the "ROAR", could still tell me the story from the illustrations.  The grey, contained city looks nothing like the lush, green wilderness.  At least at first.  By the end of the story, everyone is happy and that shows very clearly in the final illustrations.

My little boy read this book from cover to cover, including the end-papers and the jacket flap.  He thinks Peter Brown is Mr. Tiger in disguise.




No comments:

Post a Comment