Sunday, December 22, 2013

Stream of consciousness poem -- part 64



Chapter 64

November 11, 2011 –  in the afternoon

It has been
Thirty days
Since the
Phone call

It has been
Thirty days
Since
My brother
Drank
Drano

It has been
Thirty days
And
Everything
Has changed

But
Thirty days
Have passed

And
Thirty days means
We have
Passed the
Window

We have passed
The point
When my brother
Could suddenly
Drop dead
From complications
Of drinking
Drano

We need
To celebrate
We need
To go out to
Dinner

Applebee’s
Offers a free dinner
To all veterans
Today

So today
My brother
Puts on
A well-worn uniform
That falls away from his
Lean frame

And he takes
The discharge papers
That I rescued
From his past
And we all
Go to
Dinner

While he waits
People approach him
And thank him
For his
Service

While he eats
They do
The same
These gestures --
More than the food --
Make my brother
 Proud to be who
He is

And
I think
Make him want
To be
Alive


No comments:

Post a Comment