Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Book 41

Book 41: Just Like My Dad, by David Melling, Hodder Children's Books 2002

For Mother's Day, my sister bought my son "Just Like My Mom", so I'm sure I'll be reviewing that later, but, in honor of the upcoming Father's Day, I'm reviewing "Just Like My Dad" first.

There aren't too many good books about dads. I can think of three: The Daddy Mountain -- which I don't really like; Guess How Much I Love You -- which is sweet, bordering on treacly; and Mercer Mayer's Daddy and Me -- which is good, if a little silly. Just Like My Dad manages to be silly and sweet without going overboard in either direction. Because of this balance it can be, and has been, read over and over again to the enjoyment of both the reader and listener.

The illustrations are spot-on and even funnier than the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment