Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Book 42

Book 42: The Real Mother Goose, illustrated by Blanche Fisher Wright, Checkerboard Press 1992

Can you remember all the rhymes you learned in the nursery? Nope, me neither. So if you want to pass on that bit of childhood to your child, you probably need a book to do it. Also, you can't write altered nursery rhymes without first recalling the original. So whatever your reason, it is good to have at least one copy of Mother Goose.

I am very partial to Kate Greenaway's illustrations; however, I could not find that version when I was book shopping for my baby. Fortunately, I found Wright's version and it works out even better since my baby turned out to be a boy. Wright's illustrations have strong lines and colors. So while I like Greenaway's pretty pastel illustrations, I think Thomas prefers Wright's darker one. Speaking of darker, Mother Goose on the cover is clearly a "wise woman", from her pointed hat right down to her striped stockings and buckle-clad shoes.

I would recommend any illustrated version of Mother Goose, as long as it is comprehensive and familiar to what you learned in your childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment