Saturday, June 26, 2010

Book 56

Book 56: The Snowy Day, by Ezra Jack Keats, Viking board book

When I repairing the spines of my son's board books the other day, I came across this one.

I don't love everything that Ezra Jack Keats does. His books to me are like brussel sprouts -- I know I should like them -- I just don't. They seem to me too earnest, no charm. This book, however, is the exception and is charming and I do like it, very much. The Snowy Day is just the right balance of poignancy and humor. It is a pleasure to read and re-read.

Even when I don't especially like the writing of Keats' other books, I almost always love illustration. In that aspect, this book is no exception. I do love the color-blocky illustrations.

*For other reviews, please see Books I Buy and Why

No comments:

Post a Comment