Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Book 74

Over in the Ocean, In a Coral Reef, written by Marianne Berkes, illustrated by Jeanette Canyon, Dawn Publication, 2004

My son is not yet two-and-a-half, and can count to ten by himself. What does that have to do with this book? Well, Over in the Ocean is a counting-to-ten book, and he has heard this story repeatedly. Never underestimate the power of reading to your children.

Over in the Ocean is also a "song" book (to the tune of Over in the Meadow), and it is a beautifully, polymer clay, illustrated book. It is also another book by my friendly acquaintance, Marianne Berkes. In fact, the first time I heard this book was when the children's library staff was helping her present it to a very full room of children at a summer program. I was really into the song until I got caught out by the seahorse. That one little twist makes the book memorable. And as I've said before, it is beautiful, with its turquoise ocean and brightly colored sea life.

*For other reviews, please see Books I Buy and Why

1 comment:

  1. I do so love Marianne Berkes! Aw, Thomas is already counting!!!! next it will be addition, subtraction, then algebra and then he will want to go to college.... and then he will want to start a life of his own... and you will know my pain!!!!!!!!!! sorry..... aw... Thomas cutie pututie is counting!!!

    ReplyDelete