Sunday, May 15, 2011

Book 76

What's Up, Duck? A Book of Opposites, by Tad Hills, Schwartz & Wade Book, NY 2008

I LOVE the original Duck and Goose book. The only reason I haven't yet bought it is because it is still a little long and a bit advanced for a two-(and-a-half)-year-old. So when I saw this book on the South Carolina Libraries 100 Picture Books for Preschool Children list, I thought it would make a great little board book to put in my son's Easter basket.

Before I bought the book, I did read some buyer's reviews about it and not all were positive. This is a book about opposites, so it is a concept book. With this, as with all concept books, your can't just read it if you want your toddler to understand it. You have to explain and demonstrate. It isn't difficult. For example, for the near and far concept, I held the book really close to my little boy's face and then moved it way back. He gets it and thinks it's funny. He also really likes the loud and quiet (especially the loud).

Anyway, sometimes you can't just read a book and expect the child to grasp the concept and understand -- how easy would potty-training be then?! Sometimes the reader has to do a little extra work. If you do, this is a great book for toddlers. And I love it almost as much as the original Duck and Goose book.


*For other reviews, please see Books I Buy and Why.

1 comment:

  1. " how easy would potty-training be then?! "
    hhhmmmmm so starting, trying or done?
    as I recall... boys are easier than girls!!! or maybe I just had experience!!!

    ReplyDelete