Sunday, November 17, 2013

Book 252

The Dog Show, written and illustrated by Sally O. Lee, 2012.  Preschool to Early Elementary.


One of my favorite quotes comes from St. Exupery's The Little Prince:  It is only with the heart the one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.   That quote sums up perfectly the spirit of Sally Lee's The Dog Show.

I have three cats, all beautiful, all foundlings or strays.  Even though they are all beautiful now, if I were honest, I would have to admit that none of them was beautiful when I first found him or her (or he or she found me).  They are beautiful because I love them.  Because they are important to me.  Because they are well-cared for.  And because my five-year-old son call them his brother and sisters.  Harry, the dog in this story, also is beautiful and for most of the same reasons.

The Dog Show does not stray into preachy territory.  It delights with a story as colorful and bright and the wonderful accompanying illustrations.  But it is still easy for a child to grasp the concept of this book.

My other favorite quote from The Little Prince:  It is time that you spend with your rose that makes your rose so important.   That quote also applies to this modern fable.



No comments:

Post a Comment