Saturday, November 30, 2013

Book 257



Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site, by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld, Chronicle Books 2011.

My son turned five about two weeks ago.  He got a "Big Dig" from my husband's parents.  He sits on the seat and he can dig holes in the sandbox with the big, construction-like shovel.  All that is great, except he doesn't have a sandbox.  I set him to work on the weeds in the garden -- with rather disastrous results. 

A few days after his birthday, my son received this book from a friend of mine.  He recognized the "Big Dig" right away, and immediately told me a story about a shovel and the moon and the stars.  The story is great.  The text is good, especially since it is a debut book -- the rhyming scheme goes off occasionally, but not irretrievably.  The illustrations, however, are phenomenal. 

The illustrations have a wonderful retro feel; they are soft, but bright and friendly, and with a healthy dose of humor.  In all, my favorite kind of illustrations.




No comments:

Post a Comment