Monday, November 11, 2013

My Miracle Baby


My Miracle Baby


I wasn’t supposed to be able to have children.  

I had struggled with endometriosis from the time I was fourteen, although I wasn’t diagnosed until I was twenty-seven.  Two months after the first surgery for endometriosis, I was diagnosed with a congenital heart condition.  The endo seemed to thrive with every hormone that was supposed to control it.   Less than a year later, I had a second surgery and the endo was even worse than the first time.  I had a third surgery for endo complications.  After that, I was facing a hysterectomy -- nothing more could be done for the endometriosis, and the scar tissue was already extensive.  I was not yet thirty. 

A few times, the pain was so intense that I seriously considered the hysterectomy, but something stopped me.  My head accepted that I could not have children, but my heart never did.  I lost a few relationships to what I thought was my inability to have children.  But my husband, whom I met when was 35, accepted me and all my flaws.  We married on my 37th birthday.  

A little over a year into our marriage, I became pregnant.  We were elated.  The pregnancy, however, only lasted about six weeks.  Pretty much almost as soon as I realized I was pregnant, the pregnancy was over.  I had four more very early term miscarriages over the next eighteen months.  By now, we were well into a children’s home system and the county system to adopt a child.  While taking the parenting courses to adopt, I had one more early term miscarriage.  After completing the courses and two home visits, I was pregnant for the seventh time.  I was three months along -- further than I had ever been.

Mine was a very high-risk pregnancy:  I was forty, I had six miscarriages, I had scar tissue from the endometriosis and surgeries, and I had a heart condition.  The pregnancy itself was not horrible for me.  It wasn’t until the last six weeks that I lost my ankles, and shoes were challenging because of the swelling.  At around five months, I developed pain around my ribcage on the right side.  None of the doctors at the high-risk hospital were concerned about it, so neither was I.  

The morning I was scheduled for my C-section, I was bumped back a few hours because of an emergency delivery.  By the time I was brought in for my delivery, I started having labor pains, but the pains on the right side were even worse.  The standard epidural was ineffective for my pain by then, so the dose was doubled.  My blood pressure bottomed out.  During the procedure, the additional fluid was too much for my heart and I developed congestive heart failure.  The epidural wore off before the end of the delivery and nothing more could be given to me.

I spent the first twenty-four hours after giving birth in ICU.  I saw my son once, for about ten minutes.  The next day I was moved to the critical care unit.  My son could only be brought up to me if there was a guard on the floor, so again, I only saw him once, but this time for an hour.  The third day, I could not see him at all.  I was in the hospital two more days.  Meanwhile, the pain from the C-section improved, but the pain in my right side never did.  It wasn’t until a night-time trip to the ER three months later than I learned I had developed calcium gallstones during my pregnancy.  

I don’t regret anything.  My son is worth it all.  And I do think, even now, he is something quite remarkable. 






After my son was born, he was cleaned up quickly and placed on me -- I couldn't hold him.  I was connected to oxygen, a heart monitor and I had a PICC line.  I saw him for maybe two minutes before I was taken to ICU.  



6 comments:

  1. Makes me want to cry...not sure if they're happy tears that things turned out for you, or if they're sad and sympathetic tears because of all you went through. But so glad for your miracle child! And for you and your hubby, who accepted you and "all [your] flaws". :) What a wonderful man he is! And look at all the joy Thomas has brought into your lives. Oh, my goodness...setting off the tears again, this time definitely happy ones. (I sympathize with you because we couldn't hold our son until he was nearly 36 hours old. They had whisked him out of delivery and into the NICU where it took 3 nurses to hold him down to get him hooked up for meds and then he was on 100% oxygen for a while and slowly weaned off. They weren't used to 8 lb.-plus babies in the NICU! Now he's a strapping 6'1" 27-year-old with 2 little ones of his own!)

    Hugs and blessings to all of you on this special day!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie. I love your positive story, too.

      Delete
  2. Oh my. Miracle baby indeed. I hardly know where to begin with my gratitude -- gratitude that your husband recognized the gem that you are, gratitude that you got through all the physical challenges that were thrown your way, gratitude that Thomas was born safely, and that you have been able to enjoy his growth and flourishing, gratitude that Thomas is such a delightful, creative, expressive child, and gratitude that we are friends. Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that I think Thomas is special, but not everyone knows why. There is a reason I treasure every moment.

      Delete
  3. i have an appt to get to - but i will tell you my story tomorrow, maybe? out of pocket till 10 tonite. SO glad you are there! and thomas, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do. I have every reason to believe in miracles, and I'd love to hear yours.

      Delete