Sunday, November 10, 2013

Stream of consciousness poem -- part 58




Chapter 58

November 1, 2011 – Way after my son’s lunchtime and nap time

Armed with
A small slip of paper
From the Social Security Office
My brother
Marches bravely
Into the Driver’s License Office
While I park
The car

When I
Enter the office
My brother is already
Talking to
The lady at Reception
I look around
And the waiting area is
Empty

No one is
Waiting

I sit down
With my son
Who is tired
Hungry
And rather
Cranky

A minute
Later
My brother joins us
To wait
For his name to
Be called

Two more
Minutes pass
And his name
Is called

He walks
To the desk
But keeps looking back
I take the hint and
My son and I
Join him

The lady
At the desk
Apologizes
That she has not been able
To reach the Driver’s License Bureau
In North Carolina
She is sorry
That my brother
Cannot get a new driver’s license
He can only get an ID card
Instead

My brother
Is not sorry
He
Is thrilled

He will have
Pictorial proof
That he
Exists

His photo
Is taken
And the card
Is handed
To him

He looks
At it with pride
And amusement
“Wow!” he says
“I really need a
Haircut.”


No comments:

Post a Comment