Thursday, November 28, 2013

Book 256

Just So Thankful, by Mercer Mayer, HarperCollins, 2006.  Preschool to Early Elementary.

I have a love/hate relationship with Thanksgiving.  I love the food and the family part, and the being thankful to have food for the family part, but I'm not crazy about the history.  The glossy the-Pilgrims-and-Indians-were-friends slant from my elementary school days is just insulting, and the Hey!-Let's-take-your-land-and-give-you-syphillis angle is not any better. So, I've always been hesitant to buy books that center around Thanksgiving.

Thankfully, Just So Thankful is not really about Thanksgiving.  It's about being thankful the other 364 days of the year as well as the one set aside to give thanks.  And that is how it should be.

I probably don't need to point out just how very adorable the illustrations in this book are, but, just in case, the illustrations in this book are very adorable.


No comments:

Post a Comment