Sunday, August 18, 2013

Stream of consciousness poem -- part 33


Chapter 33

October 26, 2011 – That evening

“I’ve talked
With my parents”
My husband says
As he walks through
The door

“They think
It is a bad idea
For your brother to
Stay here

“What if
He dies
From his internal damage?
What if
He tries again
To kill himself?
What if
Our son finds him?
What if?”

“What if
We do nothing?”
I answer
“What if
He dies because
He has nowhere
To go?

“What if
I lose my
Only brother
Because
Your parents
Think it is
A bad idea
For us
To take
Him in?

“What will
We then tell
Our son?

“I won’t
Turn my back
On my brother
Because of
What if”

And with that
The unsettling
Question
Is settled
For now

But I know
That there
Will be
A price

2 comments:

  1. Great post. These are the same questions my wife and I had to deal with when deciding to move her father 2500 miles to spend that last 6 months of his life with us. I can tell you there will be tough times, but God rewards you in ways unimaginable. You've made the right decision. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bruce. The right decision is not always, or even usually, the easiest one, but you are right. God has blessed us in ways beyond our imagination.

    ReplyDelete