Sunday, August 11, 2013

Stream of consciousness poem -- part XXX


October 25, 2011

I move
The bookcases
From the study/bedroom
And line the hall
With them

The closet
Has been emptied
Of all but hangers
Some of my brother’s clothes
And a line of Chuck
High-tops

The sheets
Have been washed
The bed
Has been made
The furniture
Has been polished
The carpet
Has been vacuumed
Something is
Missing

My son
Comes into the room
I tell him the room
Is for his uncle
That for a while
His uncle
Will be staying
With us

My son
Says nothing
He looks around
The room
And leaves

My son
Returns
A few minutes later
He is carrying
A Paddington Bear
That is almost
The same size as
He is

He sets
The bear
On the seat
Of the empty
Rocking chair
He tells me
He doesn’t want
His uncle to be
Lonely

My son
As always
Is right

No one
Should have to be
Lonely

No comments:

Post a Comment