Monday, August 12, 2013

Stream of consciousness poem -- part XXXI


Chapter 31

October 26, 2011

Midweek
Midafternoon
The phone rings
I jump
I’m really
Starting to hate
Wednesday
Phone calls

This time
My younger sister
Is calling
She wants to know
If I have spoken
To my brother yet
Today

I have not
So she tells me
That he can be
Released

I’m baffled
I have spoken
To at least
Ten doctors
And have given
My contact information
To as many people again
What I don’t yet know
Is that he has had
At least
Twelve
Different
Doctors

I call
My brother
And speak first
To yet
Another
Doctor

I am told
That yes
He can leave
The hospital
But not to live
Alone

It is
Understood
That I will become
My brother’s
Keeper

I talk next
To my brother
He understands that
He cannot be alone
He understands that
I cannot drive alone
He understands that
He will have to stay
At the hospital
Until the
Weekend

He may
Understand
But it is hard
To miss
The heartbreak in
His voice

No comments:

Post a Comment