Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Book 228

The Walrus & The Carpenter, by Nick Bantock, from Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass.  Viking, 1992.

Today, September 23, is at the beginning of Banned Book Week, so I'm starting off slowly.  This book, The Walrus & The Carpenter, has not been banned or challenged, but the Alice books from which it came have been.

Some years ago, apparently twenty, I discovered Nick Bantock's pop-up books.  They aren't especially sophisticated or complicated or even very beautiful, but I really liked them.  In fact, I still do.  Something about them is highly intriguing.  I'll be passing this book on to my almost-five-year-old son to see if he enjoys it as much as I did.

As a side note, we recently watched Disney's Alice in Wonderland, and a version of this poem is sung by Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum.  You can use that same for this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment