Sunday, September 22, 2013

Stream of consciousness -- part 45


Chapter 45

October 29, 2011 – Still in Fayetteville

My brother
Asks us
To stop
At a house
Not far
From the hospital
Where a family
Of friends
Resides

We stop
Without first
Calling

My brother
Is unsure
Of the welcome
He will
Receive

He cannot
Face
Being rejected
Or being pitied
Or being seen as a
Burden

My brother
Does not understand
That his value is not in what he brings
His value is in himself
He himself
Is of
Value

The husband --
My brother’s Army friend --
Is so staggered by unexpected sight
Of my brother
That he is
Speechless

A daughter –
The youngest daughter –
Does not hesitate
She runs out and greets my brother
With a squeal and
A hug

As the girl
Is hugging my brother
Her mother
Drives up to
The house

She exits
Her car and
She echoes
Her youngest daughter –
The squeal and the hug --
And adds a punch on the arm
And a question
“Why didn’t you call us?
You could have
Stayed here.”

My brother
Answers
“I had nothing.
I could bring nothing.
I could do nothing
For you.”

“You”, she says
“Are all we want.
Not what you have.
Not what you bring.
Not what you do.
You are
What
Matters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment