Friday, September 20, 2013

Stream of consciousness poem -- part 44


Chapter 44

October 29, 2011 – In the parking lot of the Mental Health Center

Down the path
From the hospital door
To the parking lot
I look for
My son

He spies me
About the same time
That I
Spy him

He runs
Toward me
Squealing
And tries to knock me over
With a
Big hug

He studies
My brother
My too-thin too-frail brother
With his hospital-approved clothing
And his wild hair and beard
And his even more
Wild eyes

He studies
My brother
And my son’s eyes change
From being clouded with confusion
To being bright
With joy

And then
He squeals
“Uncle _________!
Uncle _________!”
And he nearly fells
My too-thin too-frail brother
With a big hug
Around
The knees

And my son
Looks at
My brother
With eyes that shine
With happiness
And love

My brother’s
Eyes tear
And change
For a
Moment

In that
Moment
I glimpse him --
The brother I knew
The brother I thought I had lost --
Somewhere
In the wild eyes
Of this gaunt
Bedraggled
Stranger

No comments:

Post a Comment