Thursday, September 19, 2013

Book 226

Book 226:  All Aboard! A Traveling Alphabet, by Bill Mayer, concept by Chris L. Demarest, Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2003.   Preschool to Early Elementary.

My four-year-old son checked this book out from our local library -- twice.  At the end of the second three-week check-out period, I knew that I had to find a copy of this book for his home library.  So I did.

The first time we "read" this book, I'm not sure that he fully understood the concept.  He knew he was supposed to look for letters, but he expected them to look LIKE letters.  The second time, about six months later, he was fine with letters not always looking exactly like letters -- his standard was looser and he found almost all of them by himself. 

The artwork in this book is based on 1920s travel posters.  I absolutely love 1920s travel posters.  In my younger years, I decorated my apartment with 1920s travel posters.  So when my son wanted this book for his own library, I was not at all annoyed -- I was thrilled.  And when he no longer wants this book for his own library, I will not be at all annoyed -- I will be thrilled, and I will add it to MY own library.


No comments:

Post a Comment