Sunday, September 29, 2013

Stream of consciousness poem -- part 47


Chapter 47

October 29, 2011 – In the evening

Tonight
There is a
Hallowe’en party
At the house
Of a friend and
Neighbor

Last month
I had said
That I would
Be there

But so much
Has changed
In the
Last month

I put
My son
To bed
With stories
And with songs
As I do
Every night
That
I’m home

Downstairs
My husband
And my brother
Are ensconced
In the recliners
Watching
Some show

I don’t want
To watch
Some show

I don’t want
To
Stay home

I say
“I’m thinking
About going
To the Hallowe’en party
Does one of you
Want to come
With me?”

They say
No
They’d rather
Stay home
And watch
Some show

“I’m going”
I say
“You guys can listen
For the little guy
I’ll only stay
An hour
Or so”

So I go
Upstairs
And pull on
A black dress
And an orange sweater
And fasten to my dress
An amber and jet
Spider

For one hour
I will call myself
A modern witch
In orange and black
And wearing a
Spider

I will
Not talk
About suicide
Or the strain on my marriage
Or how I will look after
A broken forty-year-old
While raising an active three-year-old
I will not talk
What really
Scares me

I will
Pretend
To be afraid
Of the plastic goblins
And of the dark
And of strange noises
I will pretend
That all
Is well
With me

I will
Pretend
To be something
That I am not
For
One hour


No comments:

Post a Comment